Physical Training Options
Arma Training Offers Over 70 Programs
Win real-world encounters on the streets as well as in the courtroom.
The entire training system – from the techniques we teach to our course structure – is designed with officer safety and survival as the number-one priority. Classes are both mentally and physically challenging and there’s an emphasis on ensuring tactical recall, even during stressful, variable and ever-changing conditions.
All of this is possible due to the unique attributes of Arma Training tactics:
- Require just three steps to apply (gross-motor- skills based)
- Easily remembered under stress
- Effective regardless of officer’s physical limitations
- Same technique for both standing and ground fighting
- Applicable while wearing complete duty gear and in all environments
- Use of pain not required for effectiveness
- Medically sound – uses anatomically correct techniques
- Courtroom defensible – no terminology confusion
- Tactically sound – proven in really-world situations
- Focused on improving future performance
- We challenge and motivate each student to achieve their desired potential.
Our Money Back Guarantee
Register for a class; if you do not like the first two-hour introduction to the program, you can leave and we will refund your money. If you fail the testing at the end of the program after giving 100% of your effort, we will refund your money. NO questions asked! The only thing you have to lose is your time and we hope your life is worth it.
Arma Training was founded by Dave Young, an internationally recognized officer survival and defensive tactics instructor who has been training police, corrections and military professionals how to stay safe and defend themselves since 1980. Dave’s background includes experience as a police officer, corrections officer and security agent. He is also a veteran of the United States Marine Corps. Dave has been featured in People Magazine, Fox and Friends News, and CNN and spent three years hosting a television show for National Geographic – a documentary titled Crash Test Human.
ARMA Training offers more than 40 programs for police, corrections, security, military, and first responder professionals. To learn more details about a specific program, click on a link to access a description in PDF format.
Specialized Instructor Programs
- RedMan “101” Instructor – Learn how to use the RedMan gear, take hits inside the gear, present targets to teach your students how to handle force on force encounter, store and repair the RedMan gear.
- Protective Gear – Learn how to use ANY IMPACT OR PROTECTIVE TRAINING SUIT you have, take hits inside the gear, present targets to teach your students how to handle force on force encounter, store and repair your equipment.
- RedMan Simulator Instructor – Learn how to conduct simulations with the RedMan gear and teach your student how to valid their training and their skills.
- Protective Gear Simulator Instructor – Learn how to conduct simulations with ANY protective gear you are using and teach your student how to valid their training and their skills.
- Woman’s Awareness & Survival Program (WASP™) – This program is presented in an “Emotionally Safe – “Performance Driven Instruction,” tailored to teaching females with or without a combat background in field proven strategies and tactics for women of all ages in personal awareness and survival strategies needed in today’s society. The possibilities of physical encounters is not only real but prominent. Shopping in malls, walking in your neighborhoods, out with friends, playing with their children, even in your own home or at work an attack could occur. This training program was designed by professionals who train other professionals around the world on personal safety and survival strategies. We will cover verbalization techniques and how to best conduct risk and threat assessments understanding the 10-5-2 Foot Rule, how to read important indicators during the initial interaction and improve their 360’ Degree Awareness; skills needed to face their attacker with confidence and courage and most importantly with a PLAN!
Defensive Tactics Instructor Programs
- Counter Combatives Instructor– This 4.5 day agency Defensive Tactics Instructor level certification program is designed to enhance the instructor’s development in using verbalization techniques with physical alternatives, and adding close quarter grappling tactics when confronted with 2-3-4 violent attackers.
- Control and Arrest Tactics Systems – Learn anatomically correct techniques that reduce injury, enhance leverage and the physical control without all of the bending and twisting of other techniques used to gain control through pain for compliance.
- Combat Strategies and Tactics Instructor – This course is an “Instructor Update” and builds on any defensive tactics program taught to develop instructors and officers to upgrade their skills in the use of techniques and tactics for unique physical encounters that become violent, dangerous and life threatening in any environment if you are standing or on the ground.
- Edged Weapons Defense Instructor – Learn how to defend against a knife attack and select, access, deploy and defend a use of force policy for carrying a knife.
- Edged Weapons Defense MASTER Instructor – Learn how to certify and instruct your officers in defending against novice and skilled knife attackers and how to protect your agency from liability issues surrounding these attacks and the actions of your officers when defending in court.
- Empty Hand Control Tactics Instructor – Learn how to defend yourself, protect your weapons and control a combative within your own physical limitations.
- Fight for Life Officer Survival Seminar – Warriors that practice and hone their skills win physical encounters – this seminar focuses on 4 basic situations that every officer’s face, when non-lethal weapons fail, handgun disarming, ground encounters, knife wielding attackers. If you carry a gun and wear a badge you need to attend.
- Combat Strategies and Tactics Instructor – For officers and instructors to build on their skills and tactics in life threatening situations. Designed to show officers how to work within their own physical limitations without being exhausted, injured or out skilled and help you develop a survival style THAT is based on your own skill level making you a much smarter fighter to prepare the officer for confrontations with novice or skilled fighters.
- Ground Combat Survival Instructor – This course will cover integrated use of force skills that develop rapidly in a ground encounter and prepare the officer for being confronted with novice or skills fighters.
- Intermediate Use of Force Trainer – Learn how to retain your firearm, takedown subjects, handgun retention inside and out of the holster, handcuff tactics, ground stabilization, and how to combine your defensive tactics with weapon deployment.
- Handgun Retention Instructor – This is the first complete handgun retention system that works regardless of the holster used by the officer, and works with ANY weapon they have on their duty belt, and can be applied using ANY hand they have free, for standing front, side and rear attacks, to include the SAME technique when on the ground. The techniques and tactics that are presented in this program are field proven in today’s threats.
- Handgun Retention Advanced Instructor – This is the first course of its kind designed to enhance the instructor’s development for the first complete handgun retention system that works regardless of the holster used by the officer, and works with ANY weapon they have on their duty belt, and can be applied using ANY hand they have free in standing or ground attacks.
- Impact Weapons Basic and Master Instructor– This is a certification course for officers desiring to be Basic or Master Level Instructors for impact weapons regardless of the baton used by their agency.
- Subject Control & Arrest Tactics – SCAT™ “Officer Survival” -This Officer Survival Seminar will focus on increasing your ability in winning physical attacks and assaults when confronted with violent and dangerous subject(s). We will address the emotional strength, mental conditioning and physical skills needed to “WIN” the fight both in the street and in the courtroom. We will address the 5 most common dangerous threats facing law enforcement and corrections in today’s society.
The itinerary for this seminar will focus on how to tactics for winning a gun fight, counter ambush tactics, survival strategies for ground attacks, handgun retention options and so much more!
- Specialized Female Defense Strategies Basic/Instructor – This course was developed to enhance survivability by combining verbal strategies with physical alternatives. We will address how to escape from the most common grips and grabs attackers will use to restrain and stop an officer from escaping their control.
- Neck Compression Tactics – Learn the safe and effective use of neck compression tactics for situations when the officer is confronted with a deadly force encounter and other force options have failed or are not readily available.
- Weapons Disarming Instructor – This program either builds on the basic program or stands alone to develop Defensive Tactics Instructors to upgrade their skills in the use of techniques and tactics for disarming all types of handguns and long guns.
Dignitary Protection Programs
- Dignitary Protection Level 1 – Our Dignitary Protection Operator (DPO – Level 1) training program focuses on the realities of the job, assignments and teaches the basic Sub-skills needed to operate effectively within a protection detail and security operations in a no-nonsense format for deployment in the field or garrison related environments. This course is for individuals or teams preparing for an assignment or individuals needing additional work and fine-tuning their own skills.
- Dignitary Protection Level 2 – Our Dignitary Protection Specialist (DPS or Level 2) advanced training program focuses on the realities of the job, assignments and teaches the basic Core-skills needed to operate effectively within a protection detail and security operations in a no-nonsense format for deployment in the field or garrison related environments. This course is for individuals or teams preparing for an assignment or individuals needing additional work and fine tuning their own skills.
- Dignitary Protection Level 3 – Our Dignitary Protection Team (DPT or Level 3) comprehensive training program focuses on the realities of the job, assignments and team organization into 6 consecutive day programs (to include 2 night training exercises and simulations) and teaches the performance skills necessary to operate effectively and efficiently in a no-nonsense format for deployment in the field or garrison related environments. This course is for teams and organizations preparing for an assignments domestically or internationally or teams needing additional work and fine tuning their own skills prior to new assignments.
Tactical Instructor Programs
- Counter Ambush Survival Strategies Basic or Instructor CASS™) – focusing on, understanding basic facts of human action and reaction philosophies, addressing the basic principles of ambushes and how they vary from each other, the dynamics of these ambushes; mind set of attackers, weapons and other devices and traps used, how to identify lookouts, select fall back locations, avoid choke points, identify kill zones and the immediate response to winning against these dangerous and deadly attacks.
- Rapid Response Tactics for LE – Train and certify patrol officers in leading and commanding Rapid Response Teams and Personnel when responding to a school attack.
- Vehicle Stops and Officer Survival – One of the most dangerous and routine activities for officers is stopping a car for a minor traffic violation – then the threat to life begins. We will address how to safely and tactically stop a vehicle and the lifesaving tactics you will need when a routine task turns fatal.
- Firearm Survival Instructor-Pistol (Shot Avoidance Tactics) – You will either be close enough to take a gun away from a threat, or too far to grab it and having to take cover to engage the threat. However, what if you have the firearm pointing at you and you are not close enough to grab it and cover is not an option? How do I position myself to access my firearm and engage a threat who is in the position to terminate my existence. This class will give you the position of advantage when you are looking down the barrel of the firearm.
- Firearm Survival Instructor-Long-Gun (Shot Avoidance Tactics) – Firearms come in various sizes – long guns pose a dangerous threat for the same reason small ones do. If you are a tactical officer this is a must class for addressing shot avoidance tactics.
- Shadow-Tracking-Ambush-Recovery-Capture (STARC™) – Even though we will address some basic field tracking – this is NOT a wilderness tracking program! STARC™ is for individuals and small teams to assist agencies in understanding the dangers of tracking as well and will address survival skills needed if captures during the tracking operation. STARC™ will also show how to use known elements of land navigation strategies and area orientation techniques, and the “Human Factor,” for tracking subjects that have either escaped arrest, evaded pursuit, runaway inmates from facilities as well as missing or lost children and adults.
- Tactical Firearm Handling – Designed for agencies to update, train and provide critical lifesaving information for situations where the officer must tactically handle their firearm and must draw their firearm.
- Tactical Officer Survival Training – Designed for agencies to train and certify officers in “Tactical Combat TACTICS” for defensive tactics while handling long and short guns, and the strategies needed while operating inside a protective mask.
- Undercover Officer Survival Training – Train and certify officers assigned in undercover assignments in addition to situations where they may not have a firearm available.
Crowd Management for Law Enforcement Instructor Programs
- Crowd Management for Soft Squads – This is the first initial response plan for any agency. Officers learn how to select personnel, prepare, plan and equip their department for handling small and larger disturbances in addition to learning tactics for deploying formations, chemical aerosol projectors, impact weapons and empty hand tactics for controlling the line during a riot situation.
- Crowd Management for Hard Squads – This is the second response plan for any agency. Officers learn how to escalate their control without escalating their force. We will address the situations when verbalization tactics have failed, and basic empty hand tactics and the deployment of chemical agents have proven to be ineffective. We will focus on the deployment of non-lethal weapons, riot shield tactics, various strategies to maintain the line when the subjects have escalated to throwing rocks, bottles and using other weapons that are available.
- Crowd Management – Force Management Protection– This is a one of kind class that is offered nowhere in the free world. We will address the top ten deadly force threats agencies will encounter in riot situations and we will discuss various use of force options and alternatives to handling these dangerous threats.
- Crowd Management for Supervisors – This is for any officer who is tasked with supervising a special squad or units for responding to crowd management environments. This is a must program for any Tactical Leader or commander.
- Squad and Teams Leaders – Being a senior officer or sergeant does not necessarily mean they have the basic leadership skills to lead officers into tactical environments that place themselves and their personnel in danger. This is a tactical leadership course to prepare squad and team leaders for agencies who have officers trained to respond to riot situations.
- Command Staff (Police) – Many times the lines of communications are most clouded within the same agency and office. This is a must for any commander that will have the responsibility to select equipment and command officers in crowd management situations.
- Riot Shield Instructor – When responding to a small or large scale disturbance officers lives are in jeopardy BEFORE chaos and mayhem threaten the lives of your officers, using Riot Shields is a must. Riot shields are used more and more throughout the world as not only a professional visual deterrent but they provide the officer’s with force options throughout any force continuum. This is a must for any agency or officer that will have the responsibility to select, issue and deploy riot shields in crowd management situations.
Corrections Instructor Programs
- Cell Extraction and Control Systems Instructor – This is a class that focuses on tactics and strategies to prepare agencies in conducting “Force Cell Moves,” by using 3 and 5 person teams in addition to the equipment, force options and introducing “Pad Subduing Tactics.”
- CERT Instructor – In every correctional facility, having personnel trained to respond and handle situations within their facility is vital not only to the security of the agency and staff but, and to the inmates as well, and to the residential communities that typically surround these facilities.
- SORT Instructor – When verbalization fails, and inmates gain control of location or staff within the facility they are being incarcerated a Special Operations Response Teams which is made up of a special group of personnel is called to respond. We will address non-lethal weapons, force options and riot shield tactics that will assist the agency in regaining control of their facility.
- Crowd Management Managing Deadly Force – Force Management Protection is nothing more than having the ability to respond to the 10 basic deadly force threats that occur inside correctional facilities worldwide.
- Crowd Management for Supervisors – This is for any officer who is tasked with supervising a special squad or units for responding to crowd management environments inside their institution. This is a must program for any Tactical Leader or commander.
- Squad and Team Leaders Training – Being a senior officer or sergeant does not necessarily mean they have the basic leadership skills to lead officers into tactical situations that place themselves and their personnel in danger. This is a tactical leadership course to prepare squad and team leaders for agencies who have officers trained to respond to riot situations.
- Command Staff Training – Many times the lines of communications are most clouded within the same agency and office – you tell them you need a riot helmet and weeks later you receive a hard plastic shell that resembles a helmet because it protects your head but not the helmet you needed. This is a must for any commander that will have the responsibility to select equipment and command officers in their institutions.
- Riot (HARD-SOFT) Shield Instructor – When responding to a small or large scale disturbance officer’s lives are in jeopardy BEFORE chaos and mayhem threaten the lives of your officers, using Riot Shields is a must. Riot shields are use more and more throughout the world as not only a professional visual deterrent but they provide the officer’s with force options throughout any force continuum. This is a must for any agency or officer that will have the responsibility to select, issue and deploy riot shields in crowd management situations.
Non-Lethal Weapons Instructor Programs
- Non-Lethal Weapons Instructor – Regardless of the non-lethal weapons used by the agency this is one of the longest running non-lethal weapons programs in the country. We will address how to select, handle and deploy non-lethal weapons.
- Non-Lethal Weapons BLENDED Instructor – Regardless of the non-lethal weapons and munitions used by the agency (with the exception of Safariland Products) this is one of the longest running non-lethal weapons programs in the country. We will address how to select, handle and deploy non-lethal weapons. 60% is completed in person and 40% is completed on-line.
- Non-Lethal Weapons Master Instructor – Having officers in-house that can certify officers to certify and train other officers in their agency to be instructors is priceless. This class will certify your officers as a Non-Lethal Weapons Master Instructor regardless of the non-lethal weapons used by the agency. This is one of the longest running non-lethal weapons programs in the country.
- Distraction Device Instructor – This course was designed to enhance the agencies in the manufacturer’s use and tactical applications of deploying distractions by hand, using command initiators, or launching them out of 12 gauge shotguns.
- NLW Dynamic Breaching Instructor– Train and certify departmental instructors in BOTH mechanical and ballistic breaching strategies designed for forced entry and discuss breaching tactics and technology for officers in law enforcement or correctional agencies.
- NLW Dynamic Ballistic Instructor – Train and certify departmental instructors in the use of ballistic breaching techniques and tactics designed for forced entry and discuss breaching tactics and technology for officers in law enforcement or correctional agencies.
- NLW Dynamic Mechanical Instructor – Train and certify departmental instructors in the use of mechanical breaching techniques and tactics designed for forced entry and discuss breaching tactics and technology for officers in law enforcement or correctional agencies.
- Protective Mask Instructor (PMI) – No matter how tactically sound or strong you are without the proper training inside a protective mask you can become a victim. This class will address how to safely acclimatize your officers, enhance their confidence, and increase visual awareness and other protective mask training tips to prepare your officers in overcoming the many issues of wearing a protective mask.
- Chemical Aerosol Projectors – Basic Instructor – Establishing a protocol for selecting, handling and deploying chemical aerosol projectors is a must for any agency. This is one of the longest running and evaluating chemical aerosol projector programs in the country.
- Chemical Aerosol Projectors – Master Instructor – This is a program to train your officers in chemical aerosol projectors and certify them as Master Instructor so they can continue your own in-house training and certifications. This is one of the longest running and evaluating chemical aerosol projector programs in the country.
- Non-Lethal Weapons SIMS (Specialty Impact Munitions Instructor) – This course was designed to enhance the agencies in the manufacturer’s use and tactical applications of deploying these specialty impact munitions by hand, using 12 gauge shotguns, 37/40 single or multiple shot launchers.
- Tactical Chemical Munitions Instructor – This course was designed to enhance the agencies in the manufacturer’s use and tactical applications of deploying chemical munitions by hand, using 12 gauge shotguns, 37/40 single or multiple shot launchers, or by hand. We will cover tactical applications for Patrol, SWAT and Crowd Management on the line for riot situations.
Waterborne Training Programs
- Basic Water Safety and Survival Training – Many times officers enter the water to rescue a subject in the water and then find out they are the victim. This is a basic water safety program to access your own water abilities to give you a position of advantage in a physical encounter. This is a need for any officer on any skill level.
- Water Defensive Tactics Level 1 – This is the only water based defensive tactics program in the world and is a must for any officer assigned or tasked with working around or in the water. It is strongly recommended you attend the basic water safety and survival training first.
- Water Defensive Tactics Instructor Level 2 – If your agency is like most they are underpaid and overworked and work alone on the water ways. This is an instructor certification program for agencies who have officers assigned to work in and on water conditioned environment. Must attend and successfully complete the WSSI-1 training first.
- Water Defensive Tactics Instructor-Trainer Level 3 – This is a Master Instructor Trainer program and is the highest level of certification and training for our water defensive tactics programs.
- Maritime Operations Basic Vessel Boat Boarding (Basic and Instructor) – If you are an officer who is tasked with stopping and boarding a vessel, or training others this is a class you need to attend. We will address officer safety issues and tactics for boarding small and larger vessels with single and multiple officers.