Keep conflict from souring your family, social, and professional communities
Become a practitioner of our proven
conflict management methodology without
leaving the comfort of your home or office
My name is Gary Klugiewicz, and I am the Director of Training for Verbal Defense and Influence, our nationally known training program on how to prevent and de-escalate conflict that’s been field-tested for over 30 years by our trainers.
This program was originally developed to help police officers effectively manage conflict, but now we provide this training to people from all walks of life, including health care, public safety, business, education, athletics and the military.
The Verbal Defense & Influence structured methodology teaches people how to head off conflict and, when it occurs, de-escalate it so it doesn’t deteriorate to emotional or physical violence.
Interpersonal conflict is inevitable and a normal part of the human experience. In fact, in many situations, conflict can actually be healthy and beneficial. The problem arises when conflict escalates – in the forms of bullying, harassment, verbal abuse and assault – resulting in the destruction of relationships, reputations, jobs, and even lives. In business, poorly-managed conflict gets in the way of performance.
Our Verbal Defense & Influence training is designed to train people how to mitigate all these issues – as well as the mental anguish and physical injury that can result from poorly-managed conflict – in their family, social and professional lives.
In an organizational environment, our training reduces customer complaints and litigation and improves morale, collaboration and profits.
Before I tell you more about this training, let me provide some background about Vistelar, the company behind Verbal Defense & Influence.
Who Is Vistelar
Vistelar is a consulting and training company focused on addressing the entire spectrum of human conflict – from interpersonal discord, verbal abuse and bullying – to crisis communications, assault and physical violence.
The origins of Vistelar date back to the late 1980s when myself and future members of our team began training law enforcement professionals in both verbal and physical defense tactics. Over the next three decades the methods we taught were widely adopted by police departments throughout the world and were the subject of dozens of books.
Today we’ve expanded our reach far beyond law enforcement and now serve 14 market segments and have published three books in our Confidence In Conflict series, with several more in development.
Of all of the training we provide our most recognized and popular program is Verbal Defense and Influence (VDI for short) – due to its proven results and its applicability to such a wide range of audiences, including:
- Health care professionals
- Police officers
- Corrections officers
- Contact professionals
- Customer service representatives
- Military personnel
- Risk managers
- Sports officials
- Security professionals
Beyond these audiences we’ve found our training also provides great value to the individuals with whom the above professionals interact (e.g., patients, citizens, employees, students, parents, players).
We teach Verbal Defense & Influence in a variety of formats including our books, on-demand training, speaking engagements, workshops and, the very popular format, our two-day live training “practitioner” course.
Lectures Don’t Work – Performance-Driven Instruction
Being able to effectively manage conflict doesn’t come from listening to a traditional lecture. Instead, the skills we teach must be practiced so, during real-world stressful situations, they can be effectively performed.
In my classes, I always tell a story about how I failed miserably when a fire erupted when I was working at Milwaukee County Sheriff’s Office. I had plenty of lecture-based training on how to operate a fire hose but, in the heat of the moment, I forgot to turn on the water!
I learned the hard way that just knowing what to do isn’t enough. To be effective, you need to be able to effectively act on that knowledge in real-world situations – a rare outcome when training is delivered via a lecture format.
That’s why we do “fire drills” versus “fire talks” – and is why I’m so adamant that our conflict management training is performance-driven versus lecture-based.
For me that meant that our VDI practitioner course could only be provided in a classroom setting where we could practice the learned skills.
However, over the years we’ve had tons of people tell us they want to take this course but there was no way they could get away from their work and/or family for two full days.
Vistelar’s Virtual Training – A New Era In Performance-Driven Instruction
After two years of work by our team, I am pleased to announce that we’ve developed an approach to training I’m confident will provide fire-drill versus fire-talk results despite it being delivered online. We call this new approach, Virtual Training. We held our first class using this format last spring and it was great.
Before I get into the specifics of how this training works, let me outline some of what you will learn in the VDI practitioner course, whether you take it live or virtually.
- How to head off conflict in your family, social and professional life
- How to de-escalate conflict, when it occurs, so it doesn’t progress to emotional or physical violence
- The Five Maxims of human interaction and how to apply these maxims to minimize conflict in your life
- How to deal with disrespectful behavior, bullying and verbal abuse, whether it occurs at work or at home
- How to respond in an effective manner during stressful interactions — instead of impulsively reacting
In the past this course was only taught during a two-day live class. With our Virtual Training you can now take this course without any travel time or expense.
Here are the main elements of this new approach to VDI training.
- One 90 minute interactive session every week for six weeks — first session: Wednesday, November 2nd at 7:00 PM CST. Each session includes two videos, two live webinar discussions and a live chat — with myself and another one of our conflict management experts.
- Weekly “office hours” each Monday evening during the course where I will be on an interactive webinar to answer whatever questions members of the class might have.
- Between sessions there will be activities to perform and multi-media interactions with our instructors and the other students in class (e.g., instructor office hours, feedback by Vistelar staff on submitted performances, online forums, etc.)
- Use of our proprietary Learning XLerator™ technology that allows you to easily submit video or audio performances of learned skills — using your computer, smartphone, tablet or telephone — for review and critique by our conflict management experts. Students will receive personal feedback by Vistelar staff on all submissions.
- A physical copy of the same 56-page workbook we use in the live training class will be sent to your home or office
- Each session is recorded so, if you have a time conflict with a scheduled session or want to review it again, the entire course will be available online for your review
- A limited number of seats are available to ensure lots of interaction among students and instructors
Bottom line, the format of this course is an excellent “fire drill” (versus fire talk) learning experience, personalized to each student and enjoyable.
Special Price And Several Free Bonuses
The normal price of our live training two-day practitioner course is $597 but we are offering a special price of just $397.
Also, you’ll receive the following bonuses:
- One of our published books — select your favorite from our Confidence In Conflict book series (will be sent with the physical copy of your course workbook)
- Five Communicating Under Pressure reminder cards — the entire Verbal Defense & Influence conflict management methodology summarized on a wallet-sized card (will be sent with the physical copy of your course workbook)
- Online access to our Verbal Defense & Influence eleven-module podcast series — over five hours of audio interviews with myself and Ben Merens, a 21-year veteran talk-show host of public radio
- If you attend a live training Verbal Defense & Influence instructor certification class within twelve months, you can apply the entire price of this program to the price of the live course.
This course comes with our no-questions-asked money-back guarantee: if you are dissatisfied with the program in any way, just let us know and we’ll process a full refund.
Our at Vistelar and I are extremely excited about this class and are really looking forward to making it a great experience for everyone involved.
If you want to be part of this first Virtual Training course, please act fast. We only have a limited number of spots available.
To sign up, just click on the link below and you’ll be taken to our secure online order form. If you have questions, please send us an email at email@example.com or call us at 877-690-8230. You can also call if you want to sign up by phone.
P.S. The first session will be Wednesday, November 2nd at 7:00 PM CST.
P.P.S. Check out these testimonials from people who attended our last session!
“The content of the course is outstanding. As a manager of Mental Health Services and a sworn law enforcement officer I found great value in the material and delivery of the knowledge.”
– Ed Nicely
Also, check out these testimonials from those who have taken our live training!